Syros is located in the central area of the Cyclades and it is 83 nautical miles from (THE PORT OF) Piraeus and 62 n.m.from Rafina. It covers an area of 84,069 km2.
The name Syros comes from the first inhabitants of the island, the Phoenicians.
It is adjacent to several islands of the Cycladic complex. To the north is Andros, to the north-east Tinos, Mykonos as well as the small islands of Delos and Rhenia. Northwest is Kea and Gyaros, west is Kithnos and southwest is Serifos. To the south are Sifnos, Antiparos, Paros and Naxos.
The northern part of Syros, called Apano Meria (included in the NATURA 2000 NETWORK), is hilly and inhabited by few inhabitants. This part of the island is of particular interest because it differs morphologically from the rest. It is the only place that has limestone rocks, unlike the rest of the island covered with volcanic rocks. It has few streets and marked paths but it offers landscapes with rocks, bridges and caves.
Following these trails, as well as from the sea by boat, you can access the northern beaches of Syros (Grammata, Lia, Aetos, and Varvarousa) which, due to the lack of roads, are deserted and ideal for isolation and tranquility.
The southern part is flat and most of the villages and the most famous beaches of the island can be found there. The settlements there are well developed, and the road network is quite good.
Homeland of Vamvakaris and Karagatsi's inspiration, Syros impresses with its different aspects.
There are several settlements on the island, most distinctive of which is the settlement of Ano Syros, which is the medieval administrative centre of Syros, and the historic seat of the single municipality of Syros.
It is located on the eastern side of the island in the place formerly called Mesovouni.
It was first inhabited as a castle by the inhabitants of Syros, who were plagued by pirates.
In the Middle Ages, the Catholic residents of the settlement and therefore of the island, owe their origin to Venetian merchants as well as Frankish crusaders. Because of the universal element in Syros, the island was under the protection of France. Thus, during those years there was no Ottoman occupation, only a tax subordination to the Ottoman Empire.
The town of Ermoupolis is also located on the eastern side of the island. The impressive Ermoupolis capital of the island with life, a lot of people, special beauty and neoclassical architecture is a lively monument of modern Greece, with a history of at least 200 years, distinguished throughout the Aegean.
With the outbreak of the Greek Revolution in 1821, the people of Syros held a neutral attitude. However, the destruction of Chios in 1822, as well as the persecution of the Greeks in Samos, Smyrna, Cydonia (Aivali), Rhodes, Psara and Kasos, caused a massive refugee wave to Syros. The refugees found security in Syros due to the privileges granted to the island by the Turks, but also natural charms, such as the large harbour, safe from the winds.
At that time some wealthy residents built the first houses where Ermoupolis is today. Refugees, who did not consider their stay on the island permanent, settled in tents and wooden huts. However, in 1824 they built the first church (the Transfiguration of the Savior) and stone-built buildings in the most solid parts of the land, while houses began to climb the slopes organizing the neighbourhoods of Vrondado, Psariana, Hydraika etc.
An urban miracle was created very quickly at the foot of Ano Syros: A city full of life and rich buildings was raised in a very short time, where earlier there was barren soil and just one house and few storehouses.
A spiritual radiation of centuries continues even today through the culture it produces. Theatre plays, music, dance, and visual arts compose the everyday life of Syros through festivals, exhibitions, concerts, performances, etc. throughout the year.
Museums - Exhibitions - Venues
Ermoupolis City Hall
Archeological Museum of Syros
Industrial Museum - Technical Culture Center
Historical Archive of Syros
Museum of Copies of Cycladic Art
Folklore Museum of Syros
Exhibition of Traditional Professions & Historical Archive of the Municipality of Ano Syros
The Tarsanas of Syros
St. Markos Vamvakaris Museum
St.George Catholic Cathedral
St. Nicholas CHURCH
"Ermoupolis" Art Galley
In Syros two newspapers are published, the daily “KOINI GNOMI” and The weekly “O LOGOS TON CYCLADON”.
“SERIOUS”, a free monthly magazine which has been in circulation since 2009 on the Cycladic Islands is also published here.
Enjoy your holidays in Syros!